Old vs New
Here is a picture of my very first computer next to my very latest computer, both open to a word processor.
On left: ASUS 1000HE EEE-PC Netbook
On right: Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus
My hope is to somehow offload the data off of my Mac disks and transfer them to my ASUS so I pick up where I left off 20+ years ago on some of these stories.
Some quick comparisons between the two:
- Processor: 8Mhz vs 1.6Ghz X 2…that’s 4000 times more processor. Also 24 bit vs 64 bit addressing.
- Memory: 1MB vs 2 GB…2000 times more memory.
- Disk: 800KB vs 160GB…200,000 times more onboard disk (of course I have tons of those 800K disks…)
- Screen Resolution: 512x342x1bit vs 1024x600x32bit…About 4 times the resolution and 16 million more colors.
- Weight: 16.5lbs vs 3.2lbs. Not sure the 16.5 includes keyboard/mouse.
I still miss the Mac tho…
BTW my very first computer was a Commodore VIC-20. Don't have that one anymore.ReplyDelete
AND that's not my first Mac...I lost it at some point (very long story). But it's close enough.
Hmm...turns out that the Netbook is NOT dual-core...just hyperthreaded so it's only 2000 times processor...and it's only 32-bit addressing, not 64 bit.ReplyDelete