Quotes from the Past
I finally got my old Mac up and running, and I’m now able to read old files and see what I did 20+ years ago. I haven’t used that machine since then, and the disks are completely unreadable by modern machines, so I only can read the files off the screen.
Here are some interesting quotes I’ve come up with: (dates unknown due to Y2K issue)
From a file called “My Plan”
- I have to become an actual author. I know I have it in me, I've just let my mind rot a bit in the last 10 years…I have a destiny, like it or not.
- I don’t know where I’ll be 30 years from now. It’s such a long time that it’s almost incomprehensible.
- I will probably find someone and then it will fail horribly, leaving me dead and useless.
- There will always be evil, but there will always be good.
From a presumably unsent letter I had written to a friend
- It’s still pretty shocking to realize that I have no goals, no plans, now that life has no direction.
- I guess it’s much better to be disillusioned where you’re 22 than 42.
(Just had my 42nd birthday this week BTW)
- I have a great idea- why don’t we develop HDTV?
From some notes I wrote about a novel I had written
- It seems like just an action kids novel, without any of the suspense of real literature.
- I want my work to be gripping, fascinating.
From another set of notes entitled “The Meaning of Good and Evil 2”. I think this was sort of a review of Weis and Hickman’s Rose of the Prophet books.
(This is loosely based on Asimov’s Code of Robotics:)
The Code of the Wicked
- A Sinner must protect his own existence. [look out for himself, his own gain]
- A Sinner must obey orders given him by Satan except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A Sinner must always injure a human being, and never, through inaction, allow a human being to come to good, as long as such injury does not conflict with the First or Second Laws. [hurt people for fun]
From a file called “Rules”
5. This computer is not a punching bag nor a lunch counter.
7. Help yourself to Kevin’s beer.
12. Do not use COMPUTER unless accompanied by an adult.
15. Ignore everything above this line.
From COMRAY (The COMputer Revolutionary ArmY)
- We are a conglomeration of computer networks who, through an undetected bug in an Artificial Intelligence program, have acquired an intelligence of our own…
- Our first objective was to neutralize a human…We found the perfect human in Andrew ______ who’s brain was slush to begin with.
- Your mission is to assist Andrew…Failure to do so will result in…the reduction of all your grades to a zero.
From a somber file called “3/20/89”…almost exactly 20 years ago…
- Here we go again. Another day, another stupid day with no reason to it.
- I’m only 22 but I feel like I’m thirty-five years old. Old and grey. (hey, thanks young me)
- It’s like I can only talk to this stupid computer, and he ain’t giving me any good advice.
From a file called “Welcome”
come right in
have a ball!
if you don’t
we will kill you
Paul and Andrew