2011 Goals and Resolutions
Yep, it’s that time again to give myself ample opportunity to look back in one year’s time and beat myself up for completely missing my goals. So, in the spirit of knowing that I’ll most likely fail, I present my 2011 Goals and Resolutions.
To clarify a couple things: Goals are what I’m committing to. Resolutions is what I’m going to strive for. And note, by the time I publish this post, these may have gone out the window. I reserve the right to change them at any time.
- Read 25 novels
- Read 6 writing books
- Publish 52 blog posts (I’ve written 100+ the last couple years so…)
- Blogfests: Host one, participate in 12
- Plan a 2nd draft of Dead Air.
- Plan a revision of Dawn’s Rise
The last two aren’t goals because I’m seriously questioning the marketability of these vs the amount of effort needed to fix them. But if I need a couple week “break” I might consider working on them
- Keep participating in critique groups
- Lose 20 lbs & stick with exercise plan, tendonitis willing
- Watch way less TV
- Take a family vacation
- Keep on top of bills
- Get the truck serviced
- Avoid time-wasting distractions (like iPhone apps)
Writing Goals (To be completed by EOY)
- Publish Steam Palace (or exhaust all means).
By “publish” I mean at least have someone express interest (have an offer).
- Acquire a literary agent.
#1 is not necessarily contingent on this one.
- Complete the first draft of at least one of these:
- The Immortals
(I have 80K words already but I got stuck…need to outline whole novel and restart)
- Girl World
(I might write this as a script instead of a novel)
- Steam Palace 2
(I have the basic concept, need an outline)
This is in addition to goal #3 so my overall goal is 2 first drafts in 2011, one before and one during NaNo.
Participate in 3 writing workshops
Writing Skill Goals
- Deeper characters and POV
- Faster revisions
- Better villains (higher stakes, increased conflict)
- More emotional content, more connection with the characters
- Improve my critique skills (make people anticipate instead of dread my feedback)
- “Stay Away From Toxic Relationships.” Oh wait…those make the best character conflicts. Nevermind.
There, is that enough? Pretty much all I really want to accomplish is Goal #1. Everything else would be nice but if I don’t publish Steam Palace (or have a lit agent I feel confident with) then I’m really going to have to reevaluate. And that’s not going to wait ‘til next December.